[Dovecot] Advice on converting from Mbox to Maildir?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Jun 2 22:35:44 EEST 2004

I did this recently.

For converting from mbox to Maildir, check out mb2md.  I converted a
huge collection of folders using it.

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 11:11, Villalovos, John L wrote:
> Does anyone have advice or pointers on good documentation on how to
> convert a system from using the Mbox format to using Maildir?
>
> I recently upgraded to Fedora Core 2 from Fedora Core 1 and discovered
> that UW-IMAP was gone.  So I switched over to using Dovecot.  So far so
> good.
>
> But I would like to convert my system to start using the Maildir format.
>
> How easy is this to accomplish?
>
> Can I keep my Inbox /var/spool/mail/user_name as an mbox format and have
> my other folders as Maildir?

I -think- you can, but I chose not to.

> What would I have to change for Sendmail to make it use Maildir for the
> Inbox?

If you have procmail as your MDA off of sendmail, then sendmail doesn't
need to be touched.

> Can procmail support Maildir?

I'm using the procmails that come with RHEL3 and FC2 for Maildir folders
without any problem.

The only trouble I experienced during the conversion was when I tried to
move a huge folder using evolution.  Evolution got confused near the
end, and I'd been accepting new mail into the target folder, so I had a
bit of a mess.  I wound up moving stuff a second time using the command
line, and eliminating duplicate messages using my sequivs program.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>