[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3uw-imapmigrationfriendly

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 1 01:06:49 EEST 2004

Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> writes:

> I don't believe they have any permission to assume this. If the server
> happens to maintain this ordering, well, the client could attempt some sort
> of dubious binary-chop to work out where new mail has arrived (since some or
> all messages may have been deleted)

Yup, given the lack of a range for UIDL, this is necessary.

> ; I think 'fetchmail' has some code to do
> this. I consider this an abuse of the protocol.

Historical convention, earlier POP3 versions required this, to support
the LAST command.

> This requirement would mandate that the server do a sort() on the directory
> listing, because otherwise the order of files returned by opendir/readdir/
> closedir is not necessarily the order in which they are created.

True. I know this feature was implemented by Courier-IMAP around 2.0
because too many clients choked with adding new mail out-of-order.
qmail-pop3d also shows new mail at the end of the list, and it is
perhaps a reference implementation of all Maildir POP3 servers.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95