[Dovecot] Re: 0.99.10.5 release candidate

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Tue Jun 1 01:06:30 EEST 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:25:53PM +0300, Tomi Hakala wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 11:32, Brian Candler wrote:
> > > I can see
> > > issues with numbers of filehandles/sockets on the lock server process
> > > itself, so you'd have to tweak kernel parameters on a busy system. Perhaps
> > > you could have a pool of lockserver processes listening on different ports,
> > > and use a hash of the directory name to work out which one to connect to?
> >
> > Might be useful, but you'd probably want to have redundancy as well as
> > load balancing. Might not be that easy to implement.
>
> How about distributed lock manager which sits on every node? It could
> communicate with other nodes by multicast, although keeping the lock
> would require heartbeat packets instead of just keeping TCP session open,
> thus causing more interrupts and context switches :-(

This could be done via Spread: www.spread.org.  Spread is an extended
virtual synchrony toolkit (roughly this means you have an all-or-nothing
delivery guarantee).  I maintain FreeBSD and Debian-style packages
of Spread and find it very useful for distributed applications.
It's not written in Dovecot's secure style, however.

Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109