[Dovecot] Pam trouble

Benjamin Dabelow benja.dabelow at gmx.net
Wed Feb 25 20:09:38 EET 2004

> > Child died with signal 11
>
> Is this the exact error message? Dovecot doesn't send this, so do you
> mean it's PAM subprocess that dies or dovecot-auth process itself?
The complete error is:
dovecot-auth: Feb 25 18:55:17 Error: PAM: Child process died
dovecot-auth: Feb 25 18:55:18 Error: PAM: Child 2179 died with signal 11

So it's the pam process crashing.

> Crashes are better debugged with gdb:
>
> gdb /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth (pid of dovecot-auth)
>
> Enter "c" command to let it continue. Try logging in. gdb should show
> that it crashed now. Enter "bt" command and send me the result.
As I'm new to gdb, I'm stuck here. dovecot-auth does not crash so I'm not back
to the gdb prompt. How do I get any output (CTRL-C does not work.)?

> If it crashes inside pam_ldap handler, it's a bug in it.
At least pam_ldap is fine with man other services (login,smtp auth, ssh).

Thanks for your time.

	Benjamin
Benjamin Dabelow                    benja.dabelow at gmx.net
Staufenbergstr. 88                  benja-dabelow.gmxhome.de/start.html
74081 Heilbronn
Germany