[Dovecot] Basic questions concerning mail...

Tom tom at abwaerts.be
Mon Feb 16 01:01:35 EET 2004

Hey all,

A few minutes ago, I installed Dovecot, hoping things would get clear by
just looking at the relevant config files, but since they don't, I hope
someone here could give me a clue...

What I want to achieve is really only basic functionality. It's just for
personal use, so it shouldn't get too complicated. Up til now, I have
been using fetchmail to get my mail off of several POP3-accounts, exim
to hand it over to procmail and procmail to drop it in the mail
directories of my girlfriend and I.

I'd like to be able to remotely use a webmail program of some kind to
check mail without having to use ssh to login. So I thought an
IMAP-server might be the way to go, but, embarassing though it may be, I
can't quite grasp how Dovecot (any IMAPd of course, for that matter)
fits in the whole.

Should Dovecot receive mail from fetchmail and put in it it's proper
place in the user's home directories? Or does Dovecot merely read any
mail that might belong to users, told where to look by dovecot.conf?

Since I now notice my questions are put in a way that is equally
embarassing as the questions themselves, I'll keep it short: could
anyone enlighten me about the role of Dovecot / an IMAPd it the whole of
a mail system (mail directories for each user, fetchmail, procmail, an
MTA, a MUA)?

Sincerely apologizing for wasting your undoubtedly valuable time,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."