[Dovecot] RE: Question on folders

Alex S Moore asmoore at edge.net
Sat Feb 14 18:55:29 EET 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:38:44 +0000
tom at replic8.net wrote:

> hi,
>
> i also experienced strange and/or diffrent behaviours from MUAs with
> Maildir based folders, but i've never seen any logic. just not enough
> time to trace the problem. i'm trying to get some results with some
> MUAs and dovecot from cvs, soon.

While I am trying to figure this out, it is quite nice to have a pop3
server that does SSL and ldap and does not require me to have my users in
/etc/passwd or a special database.  I use Sun's directory server and it
works just fine with a TLS:simple connection, which I could not get to work
with qpopper.

Please post what you decide.  All I want is a common directory sturcture
for all users with something like %1s/%s directories per user and a MUA
that understands this.  It could be that some delivery agent, like
procmail, is required and it is not a function of the MUA.  From the MUA, I
had a lot of problems creating directories and moving mail to a specific
folder using filters.  I need more time to work on it, so pointers will
help.

Alex