[Dovecot] Mailbox formats

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Feb 10 22:38:17 EET 2004

I'm currently using mbox and mbx with UW-IMAP, mbox for space efficiency
and mbx for folders with lots of messages for time efficiency without a
large space cost. I've avoided maildir because it has a relatively high
space cost; mbox has no inter-message cost while maildir wastes on average
half a sector plus an inode for each message.

What other formats are there, and has anyone come up with a good format
that gives both good time and space characteristics without sacrificing
reliability?

(I'm aware of the file format list in the UW-IMAP distro:
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html>)