[Dovecot] Re: delivery agent in 1.0?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Dec 31 05:41:10 EET 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:02:18PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> "Mark E. Mallett" <mem at mv.mv.com> writes:
> >> Hmm. This brings to my mind again that it would need Sieve, and mvmf
> >> might be a good base for it, but it's still not open source (Mark? :)
> >
> > Only because I'm too lazy to deal with thinking about terms, certainly
> > that was more true a year ago when it was less well developed.  And
>
> Some questions you might want to ask yourself before picking a license:

   <etc>

Thanks.  Those are all good points that I am not unfamiliar with,
although usually I will just put something like "here, use it if you
can" with code.  I talked about being too lazy and stuff, and while
that's always true, mainly I just wanted to grow it some more before
inflicting it on people, assuming that anyone wants to be so afflicted.
And I did have a specific milestone capability in mind(1).  It reached
that a while ago, and the code has been out there and available for
just about exactly a year now, so it's probably a good a time as any,
especially while I'm thinking about it.

> > maybe because I'm not clear on the what the problems are with the terms
> > right now.  e.g. qmail is "closed" in similar way.  But all the source
> > code is there for the taking.
>
> qmail is dead, the author doesn't have interest in fixing the bugs (he's
> occasionally still active denying them, same for most of the other
> software he wrote, say djbdns), and the route "distribute original
> tarball, patch and a helper script" that net-qmail follows doesn't seem
> too popular.

While I agree with a lot of those points, I would say that the
pronouncement of death is premature.  At any rate that's a fray I don't
want to get into here :-)

> The Debian Free Software Guidelines and www.opensource.org and the
> 'picking a license' (not sure of the exact title) document from
> ibiblio.org/Linux should help you figuring out the popular licenses and
> a VERY rough overview of their differences.

Thanks.  I was familiar with the major ones, including the new BSD
license that I went with, but seeing some others was interesting.

The latest mvmf (http://www.mvmf.org/) has open source terms attached.

-mm-

(1) That milestone being the ability to use the scripting language to
pick out IP address(es) from the mail message for use in the dnsbl
constructs (as opposed to having to change code that did the hardwired
extraction that probably only worked here).