[Dovecot] Authentication difficulties

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 29 19:53:04 EET 2004

There are constantly pretty basic questions in this list (and in my
inbox) about how to get user authentication work correctly. This means
that the documentation how it all works is either bad, or people don't
find it easily. Any ideas how to improve it?

I did this now:

  - Documentation link in dovecot.org now points directly to Wiki, so
people don't go read the outdated documents
  - Upcoming 1.0-tests and 0.99.13 will contain doc/USE-WIKI-INSTEAD
file pointing to Wiki:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2004-December/003928.html
  - Updated comments in dovecot-example.conf:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2004-December/003924.html
  - Added pointers to Wiki in dovecot-example.conf:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2004-December/003927.html

How good are the Wiki documents about user authentication in general?
The content should probably be split somehow to "getting started" vs.
"everything there is to know about it" and "system users" vs. "virtual
users". I'm not really sure how to best do that though.

I think the Wiki in general could be better organized. Wish I knew how.