[Dovecot] Maildir owner importance

Peter Lacey placey at wanderingbarque.com
Wed Dec 29 16:45:58 EET 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 6:06 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> And there was talk about auth_user in this thread too. The most
> important thing with it is that it must not be the same as login_user

Okay, I didn't know this.  So the imap-login process should run as
user1 (not "root", typically "dovecot") and dovecot-auth should run as
user2 (could be root, should be just privileged enough to access the
auth_userdb and auth_passdb, which in the case of LDAP is anyone).
Here's the question, why is it important that these two not be the same
user?

Pete