[Dovecot] Worthwile to use quotas?

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Fri Dec 24 05:35:05 EET 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 13:57, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Software quotas are also problematic only if user has direct access to
> the system. I don't see a reason why they would otherwise be bad.
    As I said in my reply to Matthias Andree, all the users are virtual, so
they would have no direct access to the system, so there's no threat of them
changing the quotas.

> Dovecot will most likely support soft quotas within few months. It will
> also support different backends (maildir++, sql).
    To return to my original question, would it work to implement quotas now
with Maildrop, even though Dovecot doesn't support it, or should I just wait
until version 1.0 (or whenever quotas are supported) is released? My thinking
is that even if Dovecot doesn't support quotas, I can at least control what
amount of mail arrives for the user, and I believe I saw something that said
that Maildrop will recalculate the percentage of the quota filled on a
regular basis if there is something (like Dovecot) fiddling with the mail but
not changing the percentage. But if I'm wrong, and this is just going to
hopelessly mess things up, I'd like to know.
    :Peter