[Dovecot] Purging /var/mail/username ?

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Thu Dec 23 17:18:56 EET 2004

Johannes Berg wrote:
> Michael Hipp schrieb:
>
>> Dovecot is delivering mail to my ~/.mail directory wonderfully. But
>> /var/mail/michael is growing steadily.
>

> Something must be delivering there. I'm sure dovecot is not delivering
> any mail, so it can't be delivering to ~/.mail :)
> Maybe you need to configure your MTA (exim,postfix,sendmail,....) to
> deliver to ~/.mail?

Obviously I'm confused.

I'm using postfix for mta. It has been running since the box was built.

Before I installed Dovecot, I had no ~/mail. (There's no "dot" in it as I
mistakenly indicated in my first post). My mail just accumulated in
/var/mail/michael and sat there. I activated Dovecot and ~/mail appeared and I
could get at it via IMAP. So I assumed Dovecot was reading /var/mail/michael
and "delivering" it to ~/mail.

Is this not the case?

So, in normal circumstances, who is responsible for keeping /var/mail from
filling up?

Sorry for all the dum-dum questions.

Thank you all,
Michael