[Dovecot] PostgreSQL user database

Marco Herrn marco at mherrn.de
Mon Dec 20 23:26:25 EET 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:10:18AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> >>If they are names, how should dovecot translate them to numbers?
> >
> >Sorry for my little knowledge about that, but I thought that the names
> >should be enough. At least exim is capable of using user and group
> >names as well as uids and gids. Do you know where the difference is in
> >the way exim and dovecot handle this? I would think that exim just
> >looks into the passwd file for this information (this is only an
> >assumption). Is this not possible in dovecot?
>
> Well, after replying, I started thinking if I wanted Dovecot to convert
> uid/gid names to numbers. I couldn't decide yet. It could be useful,
> but it could be just bloat. Does anyone have a ready patch to do it?
> Maybe then it would be easier :)

I would really like to create a patch, but I can't write in C. And I
think a java or python version isn't really helpful. ;-)
Have you already decided whether you want to include such a feature?

Regards
Marco

--
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
richest people in America.  If I'm not there, I go to work
(GnuPG/PGP-encrypted mail preferred)       _;\ _.\ _.';;) ;,;_/;
Key ID: 0x94620736                  _  _'./_\('))_; );/\)}/`fsc