[Dovecot] deploying dspam

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Dec 17 00:33:09 EET 2004

Johannes Berg wrote:
> Curtis Maloney schrieb:
>> Seems to me it will possibly lower the overall load, since you will
>> only rescan/retrain messages _explicitly_ changed from/to SPAM/HAM.
>> Now, if only you could get some resident form of dspam, so you didn't
>> have to keep spawning it.... or did I miss something in the docs?
>> Then again, there's libdspam...
>
> Yeah, though both these options kinda suck. Spawning dspam gives you all
> the benefit of the command line client (it reads config files etc.)
> while using libdspam makes it in-process. I'm looking at making another
> dspam library that encapsulates more functionality of the dspam client
> (ie. the config file reading etc.) and using that in-process with
> dovecot, I'll kick that idea around the dspam-dev list. Also, I'd link
> that library into my MTA (exim). The rationale for that idea is to
> centralize dspam's configuration while still using it from within
> multiple processes. There's one catch: This system will require that
> dspam stores the signature in the header (that way I can use dovecot's
> API to extract it and pass it to libdspam w/o retrieving the whole
> message).

Sounds to me like a dspam daemon would be a better option in some ways.  It
would mean a single task could handle work from both the MTA and Dovecot.  As
I said, I've not looked closely at dpsam and its interfaces, but I think I
will now...

> Also, dspam appears to store the messages in its database, so I was
> thinking of making a dspam-database dovecot storage plugin as well (or
> integrate that with the dspam plugin I need to write anyway). That way,
> those emails are only stored once. I haven't figured out what it stores
> though, whether all messages, to a certain limit, only spam, or .....
> Needs some thinking, probably, and for a start, I'll just deliver the
> spam-messages to another maildir and make a namespace for it.

This could be very interesting... certainly a "unique" feature for Dovecot,
afaik.  Would be very interesting to see how it turns out, and will be happy
to test on my home setup.

--
Curtis Maloney