[Dovecot] IMAP Subdirectories

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Dec 16 04:32:23 EET 2004

Hauke Fath wrote:
> That's definitely wrong.

I'd argue that what I am describing is more accurate than what you are describing.

> While this is a dim area of imap, working with subflolders (which are
> directories on the server side) and mbox mail folders is definitely
> possible.

The mbox format does not support subfolders _as originally defined_ (it's just a
catenation of messages into a single file).  The maildir format does (and in
fact that feature was one of the reasons it was created, the primary one being
NFS-safe behavior).

I am not arguing that it is impossible to use mbox's in such a way as to emulate
multiple folders using mbox files (and I believe both pine and Mutt do so).  I
am simply saying that any software doing that has to do so outside of the mbox
format itself (and AFAIK, dovecot doesn't do it at all).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group