[Dovecot] deploying dspam

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Dec 15 17:01:06 EET 2004

tallison at tacocat.net wrote:

> OK, I'll play dumb here.

And you're so good at it! ;)

> bogofilter is a C-based statistical spam filtering ..yada..yada..yada.

And it works acceptably for individual users (since it uses BDB for
token storage).  I also question the author's knowledge of Berkeley DB
usage, since he specifically discusses NFS usage which is strictly
forbidden for all but a tiny number of NFS implementations (due to the
BDB shared memory map requirements).

However, for a larger installation, bogofilter simply won't work well,
because it doesn't support a multiuser database (like MySQL or
PostgreSQL).  dspam also provides several other categorization schemes
which bogofilter doesn't have.

I can personally confirm that dspam works great; my personal account
stats are:

	filtering accuracy is	98.895% since last reset
	false positive rate is	0.728% since last reset

and since the spam are quarantined, I can deal with the very rare false
positive.  Unlike SpamAssassin, as an administrator I do not have to do
anything to achieve high accuracy.

John

--
John Peacock