[Dovecot] Timeouts with outlook express

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Dec 10 00:49:36 EET 2004

Daniel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using Dovecot 0.99.12.1 (just upgraded) on a site with about 1500
> mailboxes. One thing I have noticed is when the client outlook express
> is receiving a large mail via pop3 it gets a time out. There is traffic.
> If you click on the "wait" button in the dialogue the mail continues to
> download.

Amazing... it's still doing this?  I saw the fruits of this wrongheadedness
some years ago.  Users were complaining that they were receiving the same
message repeatedly, and no more.

What was happening was Messenger/Outlook/OE was downloading the message, and
decoding the attachment, then timing out and so not telling the POP server to
delete it.  Why they decoded the attachment before confirming the
receive/deleting the message on the server, who can say...

Wonderfully stupid design which you'd think they'd fix eventually... then again...

--
Curtis Maloney