[Dovecot] Lost BODY message

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Wed Dec 8 01:14:26 EET 2004

DEBIAN package information:
ii  dovecot-common 0.99.11-3
ii  dovecot-imapd  0.99.11-3
ii  bogofilter     0.93.1-1

Apologies for cross-posting, but I think the problem lies somewhere in
here.  Maybe someone can tell me something useful.

Now, I've confirmed the following:
I received a mail message that was not spam, of size 2132 originally.
clamav scanned it and bumped the size up to 2356 (added headers)
ls -l shows it at 1019.
The message file (maildir) does not show any BODY.

I didn't have my procmail logging on VERBOSE=yes at this time which is a
real bummer.

Nothing else shows up in the syslog or other logs.

As near as I can tell, the following happened:
postfix delivered the email to the procmail script in good shape.
Now, either procmail or dovecot got goofy on this one.
I'm also running bogofilter in the dovecot script, but there's nothing
in the procmail log to indicate a problem (logging would have helped!).
But the bogofilter database doesn't show any signs of corruption.

Somewhere between the interplay of procmail, bogofilter, dovecot things
went wrong.  I've increased all the logging that I can to watch for the
next event.

BTW - how can I increase the verbosity of dovecot while staying in
daemon mode?