[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot on home LAN

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 7 22:45:55 EET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 16:20, viebig wrote:

>  I hope I understood you right :
>  -Alfred , the Desktop has the mail
>  - Willi , The Laptop should only access ( reed, write, delete...) them

Exactly.

>  On Alfred you will need fetchmail to get your mails from your Provider (
> some server usually provided by your ISP ) These Mails are usually stored
> in your mail folder .

I collect my email by uucp.
This is working perfectly,
and I can collect it either on my laptop or on my desktop.
At present I collect it on my laptop.
If and when I get dovecot working I shall collect it on my desktop.
I do not need fetchmail for this purpose.

>  To check them from your Laptop (Willi ) you need another software that
> works like an pop or imap server. The one you choosed is dovecot. So you do
> not need fetchmail on your laptop. On your laptop you will need a email
> client like Kmail, or even OE  (on Windows). If you use imap  the mail
> remains  on the desktop (Alfred ) except you copy something on your local
> folders. Hope it helped..

I know I do not _need_ fetchmail.
I am simply using it to test dovecot.
If everything worked, I would use KMail on my laptop
to access my email on the desktop.

Surely there must be people using dovecot on a home LAN in this way?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366