[Dovecot] Problem with dovecot on home LAN

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 7 17:04:11 EET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 13:38, jean-Noël Chardron wrote:

> >At present I get email directly on my laptop
> >in /var/spool/mail/* through uucp.
> >I'd like to get the email in the same directory
> >on my desktop (alfred), and then run a mail server on the destop
> >and collect the email on my laptop (william)
> >(or on other computers on my two little home LANs, ethernet and WiFi).
> >
> >I was advised that dovecot was a good imap server for this purpose
> >(I tried cyrus-imapd, but decided it was too complicated),
> >so I'm running dovecot on alfred (my desktop),
>
> If I understand, the mail arrives on Laptop (William) (through uucp) so
> the mail boxes are on William so You must install dovecot on William.

At present email is arriving at william (my laptop).
_I want to change this_ so that email arrives at alfred (my desktop) -
I have no difficultly setting that up -
and then dovecot running as imap server on alfred
allows me to retrieve the email when I am on william.

> Netherless If you want  dovecot running on Desktop (Alfred),  you need
> setup up the arrival of mail on Alfred.
>
> You cannot have mailboxes on alfred and dovecot on William (and vice versa)

Quite.
I have dovecot working on alfred.
When I am able to retrieve email from alfred to william,
I shall change my uucp setting so that email
comes to alfred's /var/spool/mail/ .

> the imap server reside on the same side of the smtpd server
> that's my advice.

I am afraid you have misunderstood my question.

I cannot presently retrieve email from alfred to william
using either fetchmail or KMail.
That is my problem.

--
Timothy Murphy