[Dovecot] master or client

Kirill Miazine km at krot.org
Fri Dec 3 19:58:10 EET 2004

* Timo Sirainen [2004-12-03 19:07]:
> >How can a daemon distinguish a master connection from a client
> >connection? Clients do send CPID and master does not.
>
> You should listen client and master connections in separate sockets and
> make sure that only root user can connect to master socket (ie. socket
> is root/root 0600).

I thought that too, but I couldn't see which socket client connect to,
so I assumed it was the master's socket too. Your comment below
explained the situation.

> >I have following auth configuration:
> >
> >auth external {
> >  socket connect {
> >    master {
> >      path = /var/state/dovecot/login/master-auth
>
> Put the master-auth socket elsewhere, eg.
> /var/state/dovecot/master-auth and start listening for clients in eg.
> /var/state/dovecot/login/client-auth (login prosesses connect to all
> sockets in /var/state/dovecot/login/).

Aha! I couldn't think out which socket clients do connect to. It works!

Yes.

> >I can't let my daemon die if the master issues DIE. Why should a
> >server exit when it receives DIE?
>
> It's mostly useful when Dovecot master process wants to restart
> dovecot-auth, you don't need to do it. Actually dovecot-auth doesn't
> do it either yet.

This is why I asked - I didn't see from the code what DIE is doing in
the server and just wanted to know what you want it to do in the future.
:-)

Thank you very much, Timo!

--
They make a desert and call it peace.