[Dovecot] pop3 with lmos results in multiple downloads

Juerd juerd at convolution.nl
Thu Dec 2 14:54:11 EET 2004

One of our users wants to use POP3 with leave-mail-on-server (LMOS).
That's great and works well for most people. But for some reason, they
MUA (outlook) downloads messages more than once. As the MUA asks for
messages, I'm sure it's Outlook's fault, but I was wondering if there is
anything that can be done about this on the servern side, or if anyone
knows how to fix Outlook.

I'm sending this here, because they report that with non-dovecot servers
it does work correctly.

They do not want IMAP, because they want to use Outlook, which cannot
support both Exchange and IMAP simultaneously.

This user has multiple accounts, and only for some of them things go
wrong. A temporary fix is to remove the mail from the server once, but
after a few more messages arrive, the problem starts all over again.

Please help.

Regards,

Juerd