[Dovecot] the most serius problems [part 1]

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu May 29 00:27:24 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 14:46, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>has anybody else use dovecot in a real enviromnt with at least hundreds
>>of users and at least 50 concurrent user at the same time?
>

> Well, I know 0.99.9 has been in use with some 40 concurrent users (asked
> two people). Didn't 0.99.9 actually work with you too without high load?

unfortunately not.

>>I have to set
>>root directory to INBOX in courier while not for dovecot and this is a
>>real big problem. is there any way to compile dovecot to use INBOX as a
>>root directory? since in this case at least there is a chance to switch
>>to courier without reconfigure 300 OE6.
>

> Haven't you configured them now to non-INBOX?
 >
 > You could kludge Dovecot to use INBOX. prefix, or Courier to not use it,
 > but there's no pretty way to do it really.

how can I do that?
do you mean there is a way to configure courier not to use INBOX as a
prefix?
or is there any way to configure dovecot to use INBOX as a prefix?
I would be very happy if you tel me!
I'd prefer the first one. since in that case I always has a chance to
simple stop dovecot and start courier in any serious situation.
as I said this's our production server and I can play with it a bit, but
it's not acceptable to stop the whole mail system for a day. and without
the above solution it's not possible, since currently if we sould have
to reconfigure about 300 clients settings (unfortunately this can't be
automatized since OE6 keep this setting in a registry key which is
depend on the users mailbox number:-() so if I decide to switch to
courier than probably we won't shitch back soon.

ps. actualy I'm the head of the it dep. and in normal circumstances
there are sysadms for the linux systems and for the windows system I
don't use to login to the servers as root. but since dovecot was my
decision I try to protect it, but it seems to me problems are getting
too fast.