[Dovecot] logging in POP3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 26 21:29:22 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 11:46, Jens Laas wrote:
> So far the only lacking bit is the logging.

It's kind of in TODO list.

> It would be great if pop3 could log a line at client exit with the
> following info: (wishlist follows :)
>
> o nr deleted mails + total bytes deletes
> o nr mails left in spool + bytes left
> o time spent

These could be done with small modifications to src/pop3/*.c. cmd_quit()
deletes the mails so you could calculate the deleted/left mails there.
For time spent you'd just add some variable which gets set to current
time at startup.

Hmm. It would be nice if this all was possible with plugins. I'd rather
not add all kinds of logging hooks all over.. Have to think about this.

> o indication if TLS was used or not

This isn't known by pop3 process at all currently.. It could be
transferred from pop3-login, but that'd require changes to quite a lot
of places.

> If you would lika generic logging API I have one you can use:

I think I have good enough logging API for now :)