[Dovecot] still problem with load

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Wed May 21 11:58:25 EEST 2003

hi,
we've got (and getting more) serious problem with load. I'm just
calculate that ther is about 300 mailbox with 20Gb mails. and the whole
system is _very_ slow and just getting slower and slower. it's a fast
lan every client has 100Mb connection to the server with gigabit crad
and gigabit switches. when I push the delete button in a mail I usualy
have to wait 10,20 or 30 seconds (!!!) to deleted and show me the next
one. dovecot eat so much io to the hard disk, that we can't do too much.
currently at the same time about 100 clients are connected mostly with
OE6. the server is a P4 server with 1GB ram and about 1TB hard disk.
there is only one samba and dovecot on the server. and the load use to
be something like this:
  10:47:38  up 3 days, 15:48,  2 users,  load average: 4.64, 3.58, 3.43
CPU states:   6.3% user   8.9% system   0.0% nice   0.0% iowait  84.6% idle
Mem:  1022840k av, 1013588k used,    9252k free,       0k shrd,   80320k
buff
                     826372k actv,   47324k in_d,   16904k in_c
Swap: 4193608k av,   80612k used, 4112996k free                  783088k
cached
as you can see it use almost all ram (as the 2.4 kernmel used to do) but
no cache. so the ram is enough. the more interesting part is the load
while the idle usualy between 80-90% the whole system doesn't use any
cpu (or just minimal). BUT at the same time the load is around 3,4,5
(!!!) which is too much, and more than acceptable. what's worse the
reason is the io load on the hard disks. every process are waiting for
io. in this case I usualy
service dovecot stop
killall imap
<wait about one minutes>
service dovecot start
and the load goes back to 0.3-0.6. after an hour the same happend and I
have to do the same.:-((( what's more in this case samba case that all
(!!!) clients stops for a few seconds. since everybody use OE6 they
always download all messages with huge mailboxes what's more dovecot
index the whole system all the time. I assume this cause the load. IMHO
300 mailbox and 100 concurrent user is not such a big thing.
is there any way to restrict dovecot not to use so much io?
thanks in advance.