[Dovecot-news] Released Pigeonhole v0.4.0 for Dovecot v2.2.1.

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu May 9 17:35:32 EEST 2013

Hello Dovecot users,

I finally release the first version of Pigeonhole v0.4 for Dovecot v2.2.
The main reason for the delay was that some unexpected (design) problems
occurred with the new doveadm-sieve plugin, which allows synchronizing
sieve scripts using doveadm sync.

One important change is that I incorporated the extprograms plugin into
the main Pigeonhole release. With this plugin it is possible to execute
administrator-controlled external programs (shell scripts) from the
Sieve interpreter, e.g. for special message delivery, filtering and
string manipulation.

The list of new features is not that impressive. I've been working on
IMAP URLAUTH, IMAP CATENATE and HTTP support for Dovecot. Currently, I'm
building an SMTP submission proxy server. After all that I plan to spend
more time on Sieve development. One of the most important issues on my
list is implementing support for using alternative types of storage
(e.g. a database) for Sieve scripts, rather than only a filesystem
directory as it is now.

Changelog v0.4.0:

+ Added doveadm-sieve plugin that provides the possibility to sync
   Sieve scripts using doveadm sync along with the user's mailboxes.
+ Added the Sieve extprograms plugin to the main Pigeonhole package. It
   is still a plugin, but it is now included so that a separate compile
   is no longer necessary and distributors are likely to include it. The
   extprograms plugin provides Sieve language extensions that allows
   executing (administrator-controlled) external programs for message
   delivery, message filtering and string manipulation. Refer to
   doc/plugins/sieve_extprograms.txt for more information.
+ Added debug message showing Pigeonhole version at initialization.
   Makes it very clear that the plugin is properly loaded.
+ Finished implementation of the Sieve include extension. It should now
   fully conform to RFC 6609. The main addition is the new :optional tag
   which  makes the include command ignore missing included scripts
   without an error.
+ Finished implementation of the Sieve environment extension as much as
   possible. Environment items "location", "phase" and "domain" now also
   return a usable value.

The release is available as follows:

http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/2.2/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.0.tar.gz
http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/2.2/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.0.tar.gz.sig

Refer to http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org and the Dovecot v2.x wiki for
more information. Have fun testing this new release and don't hesitate
to notify me when there are any problems.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl