hunting the fatty

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Wed Nov 11 15:34:33 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-11 03:44, mancyborg at gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>> > the imap searches takes forever
>> > and meanwhile all the users wait.
>> > (already tried roundcube + memcache(d) but didn't help)
>>
>> What is forever in your context?
>> I'm using roundcube and a folder with about 78k mails opens in < 1 sec
>> unsorted. A folder with about 37k messages from a mailinglist and
>> thread
>> sort takes < 3 sec. My roundcube shows 200 messages per page by
>> default.
>> On a side note, are you using an imap proxy for roundcube? It doesn't
>> help you with your dovecot problem but it speeds up roundcube.
>>
>> To speed up imap searches i can recommend to implement fts-solr with
>> dovecot (or maybe fts-elasticsearch, am wanting to try that but solr
>> works...). That will speed up your searches after mailboxes are
>> indexed.
>>
>> > So my problem is not the storage usage itself:
>> > I don't care if the user gets tons of emails with big attachments;
>> > my problem is when the user opens / searches an imap folder with more
>> > than 10K mails
>> > and iostat util goes 100% for minutes.
>>
>> Dovecot should be very quick to open even folders with a huge amount
>> of
>> files due to its indexes.
>>
>> I'm unable to reproduce any significant numbers in iostat when
>> accessing
>> large mailfolders with roundcube.
>>
>> Whats your configuration, filesystem, ...
>>
>> > So I've enabled dovecot's stats and enjoying "doveadm stats top",
>> > "stats-top.pl" and "doveadm stats dump user/session",
>> > but talking about "doveadm stats dump user" and its output fields:
>> >
>> > user	reset_timestamp	last_update	num_logins	num_cmds	user_cpu	sys_cpu	min_faults	maj_faults	vol_cs	invol_cs	disk_input	disk_output	read_count	read_bytes	write_count	write_bytes	mail_lookup_path	mail_lookup_attr	mail_read_count	mail_read_bytes	mail_cache_hits
>> >
>> > I'm not sure which of those fields can help me
>> > and I can't find any relevant documentation.
>> >
>> > So here are my questions:
>> >
>> > 1. is there a documentation for those 21 fields and for 'doveadm
>> > stats' in general ?
>> > 2. what's the difference between disk_output, read_bytes, read_count
>> > and mail_read_bytes ?
>> > 3. which field of those is, in your opinion, more representative for
>> > expressing the workload that gives me problems ?
>> > 4. which settings do I need to store 1 week worth of stats ?
>> >
>> > I'm currenty using the 'standard' values:
>> >
>> >   stats_refresh = 30 secs
>> >   stats_track_cmds = yes
>> >   stats_memory_limit = 16 M
>> >   stats_command_min_time = 1 mins
>> >   stats_domain_min_time = 12 hours
>> >   stats_ip_min_time = 12 hours
>> >   stats_session_min_time = 15 mins
>> >   stats_user_min_time = 1 hours
>> >
>> > Can you please tell me the correct parameters to store 1 week of stats
>> > ?
>>
>> For stats somebody else has to jump in, i have only enabled the plugin
>> to see what to get out of it but not made any use of it.

That is really long. This should not take that long.

> So there is no documentation / manual for 'doveadm stats' ?
> Do I have to read the source to know which field does what ?

I don't know of more than whats on the dovecot wiki stats plugin page at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Statistics

> I mean the output fields of "doveadm stats dump user":
>
> user	reset_timestamp	last_update	num_logins	num_cmds	user_cpu	sys_cpu	min_faults	maj_faults	vol_cs	invol_cs	disk_input	disk_output	read_count	read_bytes	write_count	write_bytes	mail_lookup_path	mail_lookup_attr	mail_read_count	mail_read_bytes	mail_cache_hits
>
> what's the difference between disk_output, read_bytes, read_count and
> mail_read_bytes ?

 From the wiki page:
disk_output: Number of bytes written to disk -> i'd go for disk_input if
your interested in reads
read_bytes: Number of bytes read using read() syscalls
read_count: Number of read() syscalls
mail_read_bytes: Number of message bytes read()

Not really much information but a base to start tests from.

Make yourself a testaccount and test. Thats the best way to figure stuff
out by yourself.

> (sorry to restate the same question, just making sure about it)
>
> Thank you,
> Mike

Regards
Christian