Dovecot Sieve and Postfix header_checks Issue

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 16:29:33 UTC 2014

On 26/09/14 16:44, Klaipedaville on Google wrote:

> Whatever's the case the backscatter you're talking about has its own
> ways and methods to be fought with. There are countries for example
> Germany where it is prohibited by law to discard any email messages
> silently. You must reject them so that the senders would be aware what
> is going on. I was told that by one German admin. I am not sure if
> this is really true but it has some logic on one hand and it is
> completely groundless on the other hand because you cannot substitute
> a live person by a machine. Let's say if the machine (computer /
> server) confirmed reception of the email it does not necessarily mean
> that any person on the other end also received and read that email.
> But this is just demagogy that has very vogue legal / law aspects
> involved.

One *very* convincing argument not to send an *email* response (reject
at SMTP is fine) is that it is very likely indeed you'll end up on an
RBL yourself for doing this. It happened to us when we were still
bouncing (probably about 8-10 years ago). It was the main reason we stopped.

Reindl,
I respecfully disagree with (a) at least for the UK. It may be the case
in Germany but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up on my Mailscanner
- tuned over the years enough that we've never had a legit mail get canned.

Anyway, that's enough for me otherwise this is going to turn into a
flamewar rather than informational.