stemmer or no-stemmer..

Akash akbwiz+dovecot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 14:14:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

In the documentation of FTS lucene, I need little more clarification
about this section:

--with-lucene --with-stemmer

The second switch is only required if you have compiled libstemmer
yourself or if it's included in the CLucene you are using.

I am totally unsure but as I understand, on Debian testing, the
stemmer support for libclucene comes as part of libclucene-contribs1
package (which isn't a required dependency and doesn't get installed
if I install dovecot from repos). Please correct me if I am wrong.
When I install dovecot-lucene from repos, libclucene-core1 and
libstemmer install with it (but no libclucene-contribs1). Does that
mean dovecot search has stemmer support?

Now I am compiling dovecot and libclucene for Debian stable (which
doesn't have latest libs in repos). If I don't compile the contribs
part in clucene package but compile dovecot with  --with-stemmer, do I
get the stemmer support? If I totally opt of this stemmer thing, do I
lose anything on search performance?

And when you have a no_snowball option, what is the need of libstemmer
altogether? Please help me through these confusions..

-Regards,
Akash