[Dovecot] Use header from instead envelope sender - quota exceed

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 19 13:48:13 UTC 2014

Am 19.02.2014 14:24, schrieb Charles Marcus:
> On 2014-02-18 7:44 AM, pgala <pgala at ospartner.pl> wrote:
>> i want use dovecot and plugin quota to inform users about exceeded space. I
>> also configure postfix to rewrite envelope_sender so
>> envelope_sender<>header: from.
>
> Not sure I understand this, but if you are saying what I think you are saying, why on earth would you do this? This
> totally BREAKS smtp.
>
> The null envelope sender is used for very specific reasons

he does not talk about the null envelope

he tries to send back to the not relevant from-header and
ignore the envelope-sender which is not much better

do not violate SMTP

there is a reason that the return path exists

instead break RFCs please do yourself and any other mailuser
on this earth which maybe randomly affected by your
misconfigurations a favour and read documentations

mailservers are a dangerous playground