[Dovecot] Filtering spam in an offlineimap + dovecot setup

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Feb 14 10:22:37 UTC 2014

Hello Damon,

"Damon Haley" <dkh at member.fsf.org> writes:

> Alan, you can use sieve with dovecot in an offline imap setup.
>
> All you have to do is compile sieve into dovecot:
>
> wget http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2.tar.gz
>
> untar it
>
> cd /usr/local/src/dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2/
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/pigeonhole/0.4.0 --with-dovecot=/usr/local/opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot
> make && make install
>
> I did this on a Macbook with dovecot installed from hombrew.
>
> Whenever imap process is launched by my mail client it automatically sorts my
> INBOX based on sieve rules.

I gave this a try, following the documentation from
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration

Unfortunately I have an error:

,----
| Establishing connection to tunnel:/usr/local/Cellar/dovecot/2.2.10/libexec/dovecot/imap -c ~/.dovecotzimbra.rc
| Error: Can't load plugin sieve_plugin: Plugin is intended to be used only by binaries: lda lmtp (we're imap)
| Fatal: Couldn't load required plugins
`----

This is the configuration file I tried:

protocols = imap
mail_location = maildir:~/.Maildir/zimbra:INBOX=~/.Maildir/zimbra/.INBOX
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve

plugin {
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/.sieve
}

The documentation says that one can only use the plugin with lda or
lmtp. How do you use it with imap?

Thanks,

Alan