[Dovecot] Checkpassword interface for custom password check and home mounting

Jouko Nikula jouko.nikula at iki.fi
Mon Nov 25 04:36:39 EET 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to use the checkpassword interface to do a password check and if
the check succeeds I mount the user home directory (including mail) using
the users login password and uid.

My password check seems to work, but when I add the home directory mounting
things seem to stop. Dovecot never logs the result of the password check
and nothing happens until the client gets bored and tries again. I added
trace to the dovecot's  checkpassword-reply and I see that it's really
executed, it writes the reply and returns 0 for successful authentication.

My dovecot version is 2.1.7. My checkpassword is a setuid binary and the
mount is a self made fuse-fs.

Any ideas what happens? Are there better ways to do this?

Thanks,
    - Jouko