[Dovecot] 2.2.9

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 23 21:19:32 EET 2013

Am 23.11.2013 20:08, schrieb Eugene:
> In recent years I use dovecot installed from FreeBSD ports. Interestingly, I feel that they follow the dovecot
> releases rather well but with some lag, e.g. currently it is at 2.2.6. I don't know if that is 'by design' or
> caused by lack of manpower, but it works pretty well in that problems usually get fixed before the update =)
> (And then again, nobody says you should install a new version on the release day).
>
> Also, I am not sure RCs as such would do much good, since most of the test systems are not likely to reproduce the
> volume and diversity of production workloads.

in general RCs are doing good for several reasons

* confirm bugs in whatever patches flying around are confirmed to fix
* verify that there are no show-stoppers
* verify that patches flying around have no obvious regressions

don't know what release exactly it was, but one of the last year simply
broke TLS/SSL using dovecot as proxy in front of imap/pop3

* i saw the relase announce
* built the RPM
* installed it on my testserver
* first connection-> segfault

that are basics which should not happen in any release of whatever software
well, that is why you should have test-setups for them before call yourself
sysadmin and you do not need the production load to verify "thats broken"

that there maybe other bugs only visible under load is a different story
but bugs which are catched with a trivial test should not be in a release

so yes, RCs are fine because they prevent a majority of users get hit by
a regeression from a random patch solving whatever border case in the CVS
which may make only a few people happy and bite most others

that is why every serious software is using Beta/RC/Release
they give people the chance to make tests *before* the release
without need to compile each day the current CVS state