[Dovecot] Looking for a good way to manage passwords for CRAM-MD5

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Wed May 15 23:52:21 EEST 2013

>>>>> Daniel Parthey <daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>:

> The PAM documentation can be found at:
> http://www.linux-pam.org/Linux-PAM-html/

This one I have already visited, if the link colour in the browser is to
be belived.  However it didn't make much of an impression at the time.

Now, however, after actually writing a PAM module, what that document
says, makes sens to me... so there is probably something about that
document that needs improvement.

My suggestion for improvement would be: start with a simple example, and
explain out from that.  First "how", then later you can explain "why"
and "what".

> The Linux-PAM System Administrators' Guide
> http://www.linux-pam.org/Linux-PAM-html/Linux-PAM_SAG.html
> contains a list of standard modules.

Many interesting modules here.  Wonder why this one never showed up in
my sources.

> The Linux-PAM Application Developers' Guide
> http://www.linux-pam.org/Linux-PAM-html/Linux-PAM_ADG.html
> explains how to develop modules.

This one I hadn't visited before.  But again: starting with a simple
example and explaining ot from that would probably be a good idea.

Here was a good module: http://www.rkeene.org/projects/info/wiki/222

In retrospect, after writing this module
 https://github.com/steinarb/pam_dovecotmd5pwd
it was suprisingly easy to get the module up and running.