[Dovecot] SMTP Submission/Proxy server - WAS Re: Released Pigeonhole v0.4.0 for Dovecot v2.2.1.

Sat May 11 17:38:45 EEST 2013

Searching my mailboxes for something and noticed this in my spam bucket...

On 2013-05-10 11:35 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 10.05.2013 17:17, schrieb Charles Marcus:
>> On 2013-05-10 10:37 AM, Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl> wrote:
>>> Ehhh.. no :) It implements the server-side SMTP AUTH, so that your MTA doesn't have to any more. So the client will authenticate to Dovecot rather than to the regular MTA/MSA. But, again, this is a rather trivial matter and not the main reason for building this proxy.

>> Ok... so, will this make it easier to add client side sasl support to dovecots dovecot-sasl implementation to eliminate the need for postfix+dovecot systems to continue to rely on cyrus-sasl for MTA client side sasl support?

> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ postconf -n | grep dovecot
> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
>
> dovecot.conf:
> service auth {
>    unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
>    mode                         = 0660
>    user                         = postfix
>    group                        = postfix
>   }
> }
>
> and any dovecot user works the same way and with the same
> auth-mechs with postfix - in use here since 2009

What does that have to do with providing MTA CLIENT-side SASL_AUTH support?

Do you not know the difference between smtpD_sasl and smtP_sasl?

Server-side = smtpd

Client-side = smtp

Currently  the only way postfix can perform CLIENT-side sasl_auth is
with cyrus-sasl, because dovecot_sasl doesn't support it, and never has.

> any in this case means rally any like also below to get rid
> of problems with legacy client-configs of a old server which
> supported % instead of @, now both works equal as username
>
> auth_username_translation = %@AaBbCcDdEeFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz

No clue what you're talking about here...