[Dovecot] last login timestamp

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Mon Apr 29 19:23:06 EEST 2013

Am 29.04.2013 18:01, schrieb Robert Schetterer:

> doing touch method may slow down your i.e cluster filesystem, database
> etc specially with high frequent logins, related how/what you need such
> timestamps
> you can get them from logs too, to get an idea

If a system's breaking down by touching one file per login this system
should never host users, that receive more then 20 mails per day.

EVERY single stupid e-mail generates MUCH more I/O then touching
last-login. Every log line generates as much I/O, als touching this file.

Anyway, I never believed that cluster filesystems are a usable storage
system for mailservers. I don't like and recommend cluster filesystems
for that.

But, sure, your way with cron saves some I/O, that's right.

I just remembered, that in our LDAP-lastlogin-script we simply built in
a check that READ lastlogin befor updating it and that just updated
lastlogin, if lastlogin differs from the actual date. In that case every
user generates just one LDAP-write per day, which was quite okay.

Peer

-
Heinlein Support GmbH
Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-42
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
Berlin-Charlottenburg,