[Dovecot] shared mailboxes and indexes

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Fri Nov 16 12:11:19 EET 2012

Hello,

	We are deploying shared mailboxes in our mail system. We are running
2.1.9 and mail backend is maildir.

	As described at http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared when
shared namespace is configured as

namespace shared {
   separator = /
   prefix = shared/%%u/
   location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
   subscriptions = no
   list = children
}

	each user accessing this folder has its own index, stored in
~/Maildir/shared/%%u/<shared mailbox>, hasn't it?

	Our mail is store in NFS disks so we are very concerned about indexes
optimizations (we had performance problems until we got all of our
indexes and nfs tunned). So, is there any way so those indexes could be
shared for all users (and they always would be updated).

	Regarding this... if we'd use dbox instead of maildir, indexes are a
really important part of the mailbox and they can't be re-constructed
when they are outdated. So, how do shared mailboxes work with dbox
backend? Do I have to configure indexes in any particular way?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática