[Dovecot] MySQL server has gone away

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Jan 15 23:20:29 EET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:01:12AM -0800, Robert Schetterer wrote:

> > Hmm, hadn't tried that, but flipped it on to see how it might work out.
> > The only tradeoff is a potential delay between when an account is
> > disabled and when it can stop authenticating. I set the timeout to 10
> > minutes for now, with an hour timeout for negative caching.
>
> dont know if i unserstand you right

Before I turned on auth caching, every attempted authentication hit our
mysql database, which in addition to the password itself contains a flag
indicating whether or not the account is enabled. So if somebody was
abusing smtp authentication, our helpdesk could disable their account,
and it would *immediately* stop working. Whereas with authentication
caching enabled, there is a window the size of the ttl where an account
that has been disabled can continue to successfully authenticate.

> > That page says you can send a USR2 signal to the auth process for cache
> > stats? That doesn't seem to work. OTOH, that page is for version 1, not
> > 2; is there some other way to generate cache stats in version 2?
>
> auth cache works with dove 2, no idea about dove 1 ,didnt test, but i
> guess it does

I'm using dovecot 2; my question was that the documentation for dovecot
1 described a way to make dovecot dump the authentication cache
statistics that doesn't seem to work for dovecot 2, and if there was
some other way to get the cache statistics in dovecot 2.

Thanks...