[Dovecot] Issue with Dovecot v2.0 auto packages

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Wed Mar 16 10:03:39 EET 2011

Hi,

Yesterday night I upgraded the automated packages built at Xi to the
latest experimental Debian packages for v2.0. This unfortunately causes
a problem upon upgrade. I've contacted the maintainer, so this issue
should resolve itself soon.

The issue manifests as follows:

Setting up dovecot-imapd (2:2.0.11-0~auto+25) ...
ucfr: Attempt from package dovecot-imapd  to take
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-imap.conf away from package dovecot-common
ucfr: Aborting.
dpkg: error processing dovecot-imapd (--configure):
   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 4
   configured to not write apport reports

The Debian maintainer split dovecot-common in various new packages and
moved config files in the process. Use

ucfr --purge --force dovoecot-imapd /etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-imap.conf
ucfr --purge --force dovoecot-managesieved
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-managesieve.conf
ucfr --purge --force dovoecot-sieve /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-sieve.conf

to get rid of these errors as a workaround. I did this in combination
with temporarily purging and removing Dovecot, but that is probably not
necessary. Once you have upgraded, you will not encounter this problem
again.

And yes, if you are using Sieve, be sure to install the new
dovecot-sieve and dovecot-managesieved packages.

Regards,

Stephan.