[Dovecot] sieve on debian squeeze

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Jul 29 00:55:26 EEST 2011

On 7/28/2011 2:51 AM, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:

> Now the problem concerns outgoing messages. If I try to send e-mail
> through out command <mail> (local user) or through out authentication
> provided by a virtual user I get a <bounce> error like:

Dovecot has nothing to do with outbound mail.  Your Postfix
configuration is horribly mangled.

> Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic postfix/pipe[27788]: 1C3B525481B4:
> to=<user at example.com>, relay=spamassassin, delay=0.22,
> delays=0.15/0/0/0.07, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via
> spamassassin service)
> Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth(default): master in:
> USER#0111#011user at example.com#011service=deliver
> Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth-worker(default):
> sql(user at example.com): SELECT maildir, 1001 AS uid, 1001 AS gid FROM
> mailbox WHERE username = 'user at example.com'
> Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic dovecot: auth-worker(default):
> sql(user at example.com): Unknown user
> Jul 27 23:01:24 boxnic postfix/pipe[27704]: 47DF825481B6:
> to=<user at example.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.01, delays=0/0/0/0.01,
> dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown)
>
> where <user at example.com> is the recipient of this e-mail.
>
> As you see, dovecot for some reason check the existence of recipient
> as the e-mail was incoming.

Again, that's because Dovecot has nothing to do with outbound mail.
Dovecot handles inbound LOCAL delivery.  *Postfix* handles RELAY mail,
which is what OUTBOUND mail is.  Postfix should be configured with two
(at least) distinct mail paths:

1.  accept inbound mail for local delivery on TCP 25
2.  accept relay mail on another port, usually TCP 587.

You need to configure the Postfix SUBMISSION service which is what
clients (MUAs such as TBird, Outlook) use to submit mail.  It uses TCP
587 not TCP 25.  Doing this bypasses your pipe to Spamassassin and
Dovecot that you have configured on TCP 25.  You currently have all mail
being routed through this default smptd pipe, which is your current
problem.  See master.cf #submission.  If this is a webmail server such
as Roundcube you should also configure it to use TCP 587 for submission.

Is this system going to be a webmail server, simply service standard
remote MUA clients (TBird etc), or both?

Again, you need to be asking these things on the Postfix list.  I don't
know why you refuse to do so.  You'd get all the answers you need in a
heartbeat.  You're totally off topic now on this list...

--
Stan