[Dovecot] Ubuntu package for dovecot 2.0.x from debian package

Vincent Richomme forumer at smartmobili.com
Sat Jul 23 11:43:34 EEST 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:30:23 +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 23.07.2011 10:21, schrieb Vincent Richomme:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running a server under Ubuntu 11.04(natty) and I would like to
>> install a 2.x version but
>> unfortunately the only package available is 1.2.15.
>> Of course I could compile and install from sources but I would
>> prefer to
>> handle packages because
>> it's a lot simpler and cleaner.
>> After some research I found some debian packages available here :
>> http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/pool/testing-auto/dovecot-2.0/
>>

>> So my question is would it be possible to recompile the source
>> package
>> to make a ubuntu one ?
>> Or maybe could I install directly the debian package (but I suppose
>> dependencies are not the same ...).
>> If someone has already an experience with that and couls share his
>> experience.
>> Still don't understand why distros don't use dovecot 2.x ? Is it
>> considered still as unstable ?
>>

>> Thanks
>
> i always recompile dove 2.x
> http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/pool/testing-auto/dovecot-2.0/
> use on lucid server, no problems so far
>
> dont know why 2.x is tagged as unstable elsewhere
> ask distro pack mantainer

Thanks for answering.
I am not an expert in package management so how can I regenerate a
ubuntu package.
Should I download dovecot_2.0.13.orig.tar.gz and
dovecot_2.0.13-0~auto+61.debian.tar.gz archive,
decompress them and put debian folder inside source folder ?
And after what kind of magic line should I enter to regenerate a
package(I already have installed all packages described in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete) ?