[Dovecot] systemd socket and service

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 28 23:35:52 EET 2011

On 22.2.2011, at 12.17, Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:

> Hello. I'm use systemd and have some questions:
>
> 1) Why dovecot.socket contains only imap ListenStream?

You mean why doesn't it contain POP3? I guess mainly because that's how it was submitted to me and I didn't think of it. Also now that I do think about it, I'm still not sure if it should contain POP3 by default. Even Dovecot's on example-config doesn't enable POP3 by default.

> 2) Does dovecot.service required to use dovecot lmtp, or it may be
> stoppped (i not often check my mails via client, but have many incoming
> mails some time)

I don't understand. If you want LMTP enabled, you also need to list its socket to dovecot.socket. LMTP is executed in a similar way to IMAP/POP3. (If you want LMTP via UNIX socket, I don't really know the answer to that. Does systemd support listening on UNIX sockets? Maybe it requires patching Dovecot more.)