[Dovecot] Questions about dovecot-shared in 1.2 and inherit group membership from parent mailbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 10 00:55:24 EET 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 12:51 +0100, Lukas Haase wrote:

> First, if I want shared keywords I *must* have a dovecot-shared. In this
> case, the permissions are not taken any longer from the parent folder
> (what is exactly this parent folder?)

If you have ~/Maildir/.foo/, then the permissions are based on the .foo
directory when ~/Maildir/.foo/dovecot-share doesn't exist.

>  but from the dovecot-shared file.
> So in some sense dovecot-shared is always required (since everyone would
> like to share keywords). True?

dovecot-shared is needed only if you want private \Seen flags.

> Second, is there only *one* dovecot-shared per namespace or per mailbox
> *under* a specific namespace? Or an arbitrary number (where the "last"
> is taken)? Where does dovecot-shared need to be placed?

For each mailbox.

> For example, if the location of the namespace points to /var/mail/shared
> and I have two mailboxes "group1" and "group2" inside.
> Does the dovecot-shared need to reside in /var/mail/shared or
> /var/mail/shared/group1 and /var/mail/shared/group2 (with LAYOUT=fs)? Is
> it possible?

group1 & group2

> Third (and main) question: In /var/mail/shared I want to have a mailbox
> for each group. Each user is member of his respective groups (in terms
> of UNIX permissions *and* ACLs).
> The mailboxes are owned by their respective groups and if a user creates
> a subfolder inside it should surely have the same group assigned as the
> parent mailbox (not the namespace!).

Well, now you're going into something that's a new feature :) But you
can probably do:

/var/mail/shared = root:root, 02770
/var/mail/shared/group1 = root:group1, 02770

Now filesystem should preserve group1 and Dovecot should preserve 02770
permissions.