[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 IMAP disconnected

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 4 19:44:00 EET 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 09:00 -0500, Jerry wrote:

> There are several posts questioning what the mailserver does when it
> actually receives a NOOP command. Perhaps I can elicited from Timo
> exactly what Dovecot does in that situation?

NOOP is a "no operation", so it does nothing itself. But as part of all
commands IMAP server checks if there have been any changes to mailbox
and notifies about them (new messages, flag changes, expunges). I know
Outlook used to become confused about those flag change events when they
were sent as a reply to FETCH command, but all server do this checking
for NOOP command, so I've no idea what Outlook's problem with it could
be.