[Dovecot] mbox, hierarchical folders/folders and IMAP

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Dec 30 13:53:58 EET 2011

On 12/29/2011 8:31 PM, William Blunn wrote:
> On 24/12/2011 10:31, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> With mbox storage, an IMAP FOLDER contains only sub folders or it
>> contains only messages.  It CANNOT contain BOTH.
>
> Dovecot can store both folders and messages in a folder, under mbox.
>
> See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MboxChildFolders

Not by default, and not without potential headaches.  I'm still waiting
to see someone post here that they're using this setup in a production
environment, and that it works seamlessly with XYZ IMAP clients, backup
software, current custom scripts without requiring a rewrite, etc.  mbox
capability in this regard hasn't changed for some 15-20 years until Timo
suggested this with Dovecot.

The capability may exist, but until I see that it is being used
successfully in production environments, I'm going to continue stating
the standard mbox capability.  To do otherwise at this point will only
serve to confuse people.

--
Stan