[Dovecot] Can you POP a specific folder in Dovecot?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Oct 29 11:53:54 EEST 2010

Peter Reinhold put forth on 10/28/2010 10:04 AM:

> This might be, but I like to be able to access my mail via webmail
> during the day, and then pop it to my local computer when I get home.
>
> Being on a couple of medium to high traffic mailinglists, and you
> quickly loose overview when in the webmail, and thats when its nice to
> be able to file the mails into folders.
>
> While you may not agree on the practice, it has worked pretty well for
> me the past many years, and i'd like to continue doing so, even on a new
> mailserver (and Dovecot has many nice features that my old one didn't)

What issue do you have with leaving your mail in IMAP folders on your
new Dovecot server?  Why must you POP the mail down to your home PC?  Is
the server not reliable enough?  Do you not fully own/control said
Dovecot server?  If you already have the IMAP folders on it with the
emails in them, why do you not simply point your MUA to TCP 143/993 at
the IP address of your Dovecot server?  In Tbird you can create multiple
accounts.  You could do this, and simply right click and copy all the
IMAP folders to your "local" Tbrid account.

You are leaving sooo much flexibility and functionality on the table by
continuing the POP behavior...

--
Stan