[Dovecot] rpath in pigeonhole (was: dovecot-2.0-pigeonhole-0.2.1 installation in wrong lib dir?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Oct 28 21:58:45 EEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 09:28 +0200, Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Still managesieve-login manages to be built w/o rpath. But this is in
> > another specfile altogether, which doesn't even use --disable-rpath. So
> > the issue is somewhere else. I'll do some more testing and report back.
> >
> > Best regards to all people in Zeuthen that can still remember me. :)
> >
> Hi Axel,
>
> sorry, erst lesen dann posten, meine Mail ist doch nicht verloren
> gegangen... Ich werde die Grüße ausrichten
>
> Viele Grüße aus Zeuthen

thanks :)

I found the bug, it is removing the *.la files from dovecot which messes
up with dovecot-pigeonhole. There are now new rpms at ATrpms that don't
remove the *.la files, so dovecot-pigeonhole's libtool knows where
dovecto libs live and can intelligently apply proper -rpath arguments.

If you ask why the libtool libs have been removed in the first place,
then the short answer is "conformity to upstream packaging".

The long answer is that some ages ago there was heated discussion at
Fedora about using or not *.la libs for library dependency or using
pkgconfig, *-config files and the like. Unfortunately autotools took a
blow and the package guidelines forbid the use of libtool libs. This was
inherited by RHEL and package lint tools etc., so we all started to
conform.

E.g. in a Fedora/RHEL world one would probably start patching -rpath
arguments into dovecot-config, which would be non-portable, thus a patch
that cannot be applied upstream, and which has to be carried into the
package. Anyway lifing the strict *.la removal is easier and technically
the sane thing to do.

(FWIW I've been a pro-libtool proponent)

Anyway, please check out the latest packages, you can test the binaries
directly (which would give me also a great feedback, not many people are
using managesieve and thus there were no bug reports other than
yours :), or you can review the source rpm and rpmbuild --rebuild them.
--
http://thimm.gr/ - http://ATrpms.net/