[Dovecot] blackberry emails

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Oct 27 21:07:39 EEST 2010

On 10/27/2010 12:06 PM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Le 27/10/2010 15:21, Donny Brooks a écrit :
>> On 10/27/2010 8:17 AM, dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>>> Does anyone have clients using blackberrys to access their emails on a
>>> dovecot server? If so are there any gotcha's that I need to configure
>>> in dovecot for this to work? Looks like all emails go to and from a
>>> blackberry server before getting to clients.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> ddh
>>>

>> If you are referring to using a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) then
>> I don't think it will work with dovecot. As far as I know BES only works
>> with Exchange and Novell groupwise. If you want to forward the emails to
>> a standard BIS account though that should work except replying to those
>> emails will come from the carrier network and not your own.
>>
>> Donny B.
>
> I think Blackberry servers are able to connect to Dovecot as many
> students here use Blackberry and I can see many connections from
> RIM on my server , so I think there is some mechanisms to configure
> Blackberry to fetch private emails.

Yes you are referring to standard BIS service. That is what any
blackberry has when you get it from any carrier. There is a way to have
it connect to a personal email account on an imap server. I actually
have a dovecot/postfix server doing one of my domains email and have the
email delivered to my berry. It just is not instantly pushed to the
phone like it is with BIS/BES hosted emails.