[Dovecot] Smart boxes

Marcelo Salhab Brogliato msbrogli at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 00:58:06 EEST 2010

Hi,
I'm using dovecot as IMAP server.
I access my mails trough Mail (Mac client), iPhone and webmail.
In Mail I use a smartbox that shows all my unread messages, no matter where
it is.
I really want this feature at my iPhone, so I'm thinking about developing a
plugin that will create the smart unread box and follow these rules:
- Every new mail arrived, it will create a hard link to directory
.smart.unread (in case of Maildir);
- Every mark as unread, it will create a hard link;
- Every mark as read, it will remove the hard link;
- Every mail delete, it will remove all files with same inode.

This way, a smartbox with all unread messages will be available into
webmail, iPhone and every IMAP client.

What do you think about it? Is there a simple way?
If it is a cool feature, I'll develop it and post the plugin here.

Regards,
Marcelo