[Dovecot] Dovecot's maildir format / is rm safe

ian at comtek.co.uk ian at comtek.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 22:05:13 EEST 2010

Is it considered 'safe' to delete directly from a dovecot Maildir? I
mean things of the form:

    rm Maildir/cur/1288062016.M581217P9422.alpha,S=1873,W=1900:2,S

The wiki tells me 'If you wish to modify them in any way, create a new
message instead and expunge the old one. ' but it doesn't mention
deleted files.

Specifically I'm wondering what happens with:
    dovecot.index
    dovecot.index.cache
    dovecot.index.log
    dovecot-uidlist

Since (http://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles) tells me these files index
each message is there a chance of Dovecot breaking badly if it can't
find them? Is it intelligent enough to automatically update the above
files when it finds a missing message file? Would simply deleting the 4
files be appropriate?

I have users with 4 gig mailboxes so I really wouldn't want to be
deleting those files in a script every night if its a long winded
process to regenerate them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ian